Sunday 5 August 2018

My Nursing Story

Day 6 what you fear of nursing in the future
I think my biggest fear is that the art of nursing will get lost in the science and technology, we don’t need gadgets that beep and computer programmes to tell us that a patient is poorly a great deal can be said for the nurses instinct.

Day 7your 5 most motivating songs
This is quite a difficult one, I listen to music a lot in my car and at night and many songs mean a lot to me but I suppose if I had to pick 5, 
Cher- strong enough, it is a song about being able to cope on your own and believing in yourself.
Bobby McFerrin- Don’t worry be happy, this was a favourite of my nanny and she would break into song anytime someone said don’t worry...
Micheal Ball- love changes everything, love is in many forms and it really does change everything
Mud- Tiger Feet, my uncle Dave was the drummer and hearing this song makes me very proud
Finally Les Miserables do you hear the people sing- for lots of reasons but it’s a song about the little people overcoming adversity.


Day 8 5 current goals
This is harder than you think to answer, I suppose I have personal and professional goals, I would like to complete my Masters degree
I would like to become an advanced practitioner in criminal justice nursing
I would like to loose several pounds of weight
I would like to visit the penguin post office
I would like to see the northern lights 


Day 9 what’s inside your work bag

This made me laugh out loud, a colleague of mine and me had a conversation about work bags a couple of years ago, currently I have 3 issues of nursing standard yet to be read, my pens and ID badges, my stethoscope and a tourniquet, diary purse cosmetic case with various pharmaceuticals, a singe hair slide, a paper clip a half drunk bottle of Pepsi max and a very squished cereal bar.

No comments:

When God Created Nurses

When the Lord made Nurses He was into his sixth day of overtime.

An angel appeared and said, "You're doing a lot of fiddling around on this one." And the Lord said, "Have you read the specs on this order? A nurse has to be able to help an injured person, breathe life into a dying person, and give comfort to a family that has lost their only child and not wrinkle their uniform. They have to be able to lift 3 times their own weight, work 12 to 16 hours straight without missing a detail, console a grieving mother as they are doing CPR on a baby they know will never breathe again. They have to be in top mental condition at all times, running on too-little sleep, black coffee and half-eaten meals. And they have to have six pairs of hands.

The angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six pairs of hands...no way!" "It's not the hands that are causing me problems," said the Lord, "It's the two pairs of eyes a nurse has to have." "That's on the standard model?" asked the angel. The Lord nodded.

"One pair that does quick glances while making note of any physical changes, And another pair of eyes that can look reassuringly at a bleeding patient and say, "You'll be all right ma'am" when they know it isn't so."

"Lord," said the angel, touching his sleeve, "rest and work on this tomorrow." "I can't," said the Lord, "I already have a model that can talk to a 250 pound grieving family member whose child has been hit by a drunk driver...who, by the way, is laying in the next room uninjured, and feed a family of five on a nurse's paycheck."

The angel circled the model of the nurse very slowly, "Can it think?" she asked. "You bet," said the Lord. "It can tell you the symptoms of 100 illnesses; recite drug calculations in its sleep; intubate, defibrillate, medicate, and continue CPR nonstop until help arrives...and still it keeps its sense of humor. This nurse also has phenomenal personal control. They can deal with a multi-victim trauma, coax a frightened elderly person to unlock their door, comfort a murder victim's family, and then read in the daily paper how nurses are insensitive and uncaring and are only doing a job." Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek of the nurse.

"There's a leak," she pronounced. "I told you that you were trying to put too much into this model." "That's not a leak," said the Lord, "It's a tear." "What's the tear for?" asked the angel. "It's for bottled-up emotions, for patients they've tried in vain to save, for commitment to the hope that they will make a difference in a person's chance to survive, for life." "You're a genius," said the angel.

The Lord looked somber. "I didn't put it there," He said.